Best controller for Mac
Apple Macs are not so big on gaming, and I know very few people to have ever played a game on a Mac. Even so, there are a few games that are highly appreciated and that people like to play on a Mac. Now, if you are a console person, you start laughing right about now, but the reality is that a Mac can sometimes be underestimated just because it is not as used a console or a Windows PC.
Looking for the best controller for Mac is not as simple as looking for one for your console or Windows PC. Apple has always taken pride in manufacturing products that are compatible only within themselves, so to speak. While that may seem inconvenient at times, you can still find a gaming controller for Mac. You may not have so many options, but if anything, that should make the task easier?
Why use a controller and not Mac’s keyboard?
When it comes to gaming, there are two sides. One, there are the people who would not exchange the keyboard for anything in the world. It is easy to see why. A keyboard is easy to use, we learned the controls ever since we were children, and it is the most convenient solution. And two, the joystick people. This time, these people would not play a game on a keyboard not even if you put a gun to their heads. At the end of the day, it is a matter of preference, but there are a few good reasons why a game controller is better. At least that is my opinion.
- The game controller is more game oriented – after all, the controller has been designed primarily for this purpose. All the buttons you have on a controller are put there to use during the game at any given time. That makes things a little bit easier. For me, at least. There are plenty of people who agree that a game controller is a device that makes you a better I do not know about that, but I do acknowledge the convenience.
- Game controllers allow multiple players – I remember when I was little that I used to play a game called Bomber, or something like that, and you could play in multiplayer mode. I did not have joysticks, and my sister and I both played using the keyboard. It was terribly annoying. I was using the WASD keys, and she used the arrows. There were different buttons for placing the bombs, but that is not important. What I am saying is that it is more convenient to play a game in multi-player using game controllers than using the keyboard.
- You have better dexterity – once you get the hang of using a game controller, you will never forget how to play. It is all about muscle memory. The keys are almost the same for every action, no matter which game you are playing. Furthermore, using a game controller is like knitting. It improves your overall dexterity, which is never a bad thing.
- A game controller is more comfortable for your hands – I do not know precisely how that is, but studies show that people who use game controllers as opposed to keyboards experience more comfort while playing. And it is not about the hands only. I am talking about overall posture. For example, when you are playing right in front of the computer with your hands on the desk cannot be as comfortable as when you have a joystick, and you sit on a beanbag.
I cannot say that all benefits mentioned above apply to everyone. After all, keyboard or controller is a matter of preference, and we are all different. We may be accustomed to what we like, and that is why we consider the opposite side not as good.
How to choose the best controller for Mac?
Now that we got to this part, we need to discuss the issue of choosing the right controller for Mac. It is not as difficult as some people believe. All you have to do is pay some attention to the specifications. Also, some internet research may be required, but we will get to that later. With that in mind, here is what you need to consider before purchasing a controller for Mac:
- Compatibility – this is the first item on the list because it is the most important of all. Not many game controllers are compatible with Mac. The ones that are compatible are easy to find. However, allow me to let you in a little secret. There are game controllers out there that may not be designed for Mac, but they can be made to be compatible. It is not the easiest task, but it is possible. Some controllers like Sony Dual Shock 4, which are designed for PlayStation 4, can actually be paired with a Mac computer. All you have to do is follow a set of instruction you can find online.
- Ease of installation – ‘plug and play’ is what you are looking for. Some models have an installation driver for more features, but they are not challenging to install. There is usually a wizard and a ‘next, next, finish’ kind of situation.
- Ergonomics – ergonomics is more important than you think. If you spend hours in front of the computer playing a game, at least buy a controller that takes care of your hands. You would be surprised how many people get carpal tunnel syndrome from bad habits involving uncomfortable keyboards and controllers.
- Corded vs. cordless – I do not even know why I brought this up. Nobody uses corded controllers for Mac anymore. Or for anything else for that matter. Not to my knowledge, at least. A wireless controller for Mac is easy to find. Mode models are wireless these days. You need to charge the battery, of course, but at least you can stay 10 feet away from the screen, which is incredibly convenient.
- Battery life – since everyone goes for a wireless controller these days, battery life is a significant concern, and manufacturers are doing their best to find more and more efficient That is because people spend days on end playing games, and a controller than needs recharging every couple of hours is not something that desirable. There are models that can last 10 hours or more.
- Additional features – some game controllers have several features that do not help you with the game, but they improve your overall experience. For example, I like the Sony Dual Shock 4 or even older models because they vibrate in several circumstances in the game. Also, some controllers have a jack where you can plug in your headphones. That allows you to use headphones with a shorter cord, not the long one from the TV to the couch.
What are the best game controllers for Mac?
If you use all the information above, you should be able to choose the best controller for Mac by yourself. I also advise you to read some game controllers for Mac reviews online just to check out what other people bought. If neither of those solutions is for you, just choose one of the controllers below and call it a day.
SteelSeries Nimbus Wireless Gaming Controller for Apple
Lucky for all of you who are looking for a controller for Mac, SteelSeries has produced a controller that is designed to support not only Mac but virtually all new Apple products. You can use this controller on iPhones from 5 to 6 (all models), iPads, Apple Tv and so on. Personally, I do not know how it is to play a game with a controller on an iPhone 6 Plus, for example, but I expect that people do it since SteelSeries created a controller just for that.
The ergonomics of this controller is excellent. It is very comfortable, even after multiple hours of gameplay. It connects to your Mac via Bluetooth 4.1, and the connection is simple to achieve. Since it does not come with a cord, the SteelSeries Nimbus runs on a lithium-ion battery that can last up to 40 hours of gameplay. That is pretty impressive if you think about it, and few game controllers come with that much battery autonomy.
The buttons are pressure-sensitive for precise gaming control. It features console-style left and right analog triggers. The action buttons are color-coded, and since most joysticks are made using this ‘pattern,’ I think you will have an easy time using it. The controller itself does not have nothing new added to its design, so it is just like playing with any other controller you may have owned.
Valve Steam Controller
This is one of the internet’s favorite. Thousands of people bought this controlled and gave a high rating because it is one of the best controllers not just for Mac, but for everything else compatible. The device is precise and features dual trackpads, HD haptic feedback, dual-stage triggers, back grip buttons, and a customizable control scheme. You can use one of the schemes available on Steam Community, or you can make your own.
The fact that the Steam controller is compatible with Mac comes as a surprise. However, this is good news for all of you looking for a controller for Mac, isn’t it? The dual trackpads allow for 1:1 absolute position input via virtual controls like a trackball, adaptive centering joystick, or steering wheel.
The ergonomics of this controller is just as good as you may expect from a high-quality product. Your hands will be comfortable and not experience fatigue even after hours of use. The controller runs on batteries, but you can use it without changing them for up to 50 hours. If you want, you can use the controller without batteries, and just plug in the USB cable. However, the cable is 5 feet long, and it may prove inconvenient. Other than that, the Steam controller is an excellent product.
Sony DualShock 4 Wireless Controller
You may think that this controller is not supposed to be here, and I would generally agree. It is not made to be compatible with Mac, but you can do that yourself. This game controller is used by so many people who game on PlayStation, but now, you can use it on your Mac as well. All you have to do is go through an installation process that requires about an hour. It may seem long, but trust me, it is worth it. The DualShock 4 is an incredible controller, and you will enjoy it just as much as any other user.
This is a high-precision controller that is enhanced to provide players with absolute control on their movements and action during gameplay. As opposed to the previous versions, this has an improved feel, shape, and sensitivity of dual analog sticks and trigger button. You never have to take your eyes off the enemy.
One of the new features of the DualShock 4 is the multi-touch and clickable touch pad on the face of the controller. The device also features a built-in speaker and stereo headphones jack, which means that you can play with your phone headset instead of the one with the 10 feet cable. This is one of my all-time favorite controllers, which is why I strongly recommend it. The device runs on rechargeable batteries, and you can enjoy about 10 hours of gameplay before needing to recharge.
While the Sony is among my favorites, this time I have to go with the Valve Steam Controller. I love the design, the ergonomic, and the controls. The manufacturer thought of pretty much everything when it comes to high-precision gameplay, which is why I think it is one of the best controllers for Mac you can choose. There is none better.
A game controller is an important part of the entire gaming experience. That is why it is smart to invest in the best you can find. One of the controllers above will meet all your standards, and maybe exceed them, which is why no matter which one you choose, you will enjoy it very much. Click here to buy on Amazon
- Life After Gamepad Mac
- Notes on 360 Controller in Simple Step by Step Order
- Facts, Fiction and Bluetooth Game Controller Pc
- One Easy Tip About Mac Video Game Controller Exposed
- What You Should Know About Best Joystick for Mac
- The Fundamentals of Best Bluetooth Controller That You Can Learn From Beginning Today
- Pro Gaming Controllers: No Longer a Mystery
- Getting the Best Ps4 Controller Games
- Top Tips of Wireless Game Controller for Mac
- Game Remote for Pc Fundamentals Explained
- Controller Mac Guide
- Vital Pieces of Game Controller for Imac
- Mythical Answers to Macbook Pro Game Controller Exposed
- The Biggest Myth About Bluetooth Gamepad Pc Exposed
- A Secret Weapon for Gaming Remote for Pc
- The Tried and True Method for Usb Game Controller Mac in Step by Step Detail
- Brief Article Teaches You the Ins and Outs of Video Game Controller for Mac and What You Should Do Today
- The Secret of Wireless Game Controller That No One Is Talking About
- Understanding Imac Game Controller
- The Secret Details Regarding Best Game Controller for Mac That Some People Don’t Know About
- Unanswered Questions About Mac Gamepad That You Should Think About
- Gamepad for Mac Features
- Game Controller for Macbook Pro – Is it a Scam?
- What Is So Fascinating About Controller for Mac?
- Usb Game Controller – the Conspriracy
- Whatever They Told You About Bluetooth Controller Pc Is Dead Wrong…And Here’s Why
- The Ultimate Solution for Computer Controller
- Get the Scoop on Mac Joystick Before You’re Too Late
- The Good, the Bad and Mac Controller
- What is Truly Happening with Joystick Mac
- Getting the Best Joystick for Mac
- Game Controller Mac – What Is It?
- Possible Warning Signs on Gaming Controller You Must Know About
- Mac Game Controller Features
- Game Controller for Mac – an in Depth Anaylsis on What Works and What Doesn’t